Making Smoothies with Almond Milk
Almond milk is slightly sweet, with notes of almonds, and a creamy medium-to-full bodied texture.
It's also lactose-free.
How to Make Your Own Almond Milk
- Soak 1 cup of raw almonds in water overnight.
- Drain and rinse the almonds. (It's important not to use the water that the almonds have been soaking in, because it contains phytic acid, which inhibits the body's ability to absorb nutrients.)
- Combine the almonds and 16 fl oz / 500ml water in blender.
- Blend on high for 2 minutes.
- Strain through a fine-mesh nut milk bag or cheese cloth. This is to make it smooth like milk. You don't have to do this if you're using it for a smoothie, as the extra almond fiber is kind of nice to have.
- Add a little cinnamon or nutmeg (optional)
Smoothie Recipes with Almond Milk
Almond Milk Flavor Pairings
|Almond Milk Nutrition Facts|
|Amount Per 100g|
Calories from Fat 9.9
|Total Fat 1.1g|
|Saturated Fat 0.0g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.708g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0.236g|
|Total Carbohydrate 0.58g|
|Dietary Fiber 0.0g|
|Vitamin A 43.0µg|
|Vitamin C 0.0mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs.|
|Vitamin B-12 0.0µg|
|Vitamin B-6 0.015mg|
|Vitamin D 42.0IU|
|Vitamin E 2.81mg|
|Vitamin K 0.0µg|
|All nutrient values are calculated from the USDA nutrition database.|